Well, as many of you know, this last week was a bit rough for us.
Here is what's been going on...
On February 11th, I started to feel a bit sick. On the 12th, I ended up going home sick and headed straight to the doctor who diagnosed me with a chest infection. As I am pregnant, they couldn't prescribe too many meds. So, they gave me an inhaler to open up my lungs and some antibiotics. After a few days of not improving and getting worse, I went to see my midwife. She prescribed a few more meds and sent me on my way. This went on for almost two weeks. I was on and off different meds and my cough intensified to the point that my right side felt like I had been kicked in the ribs. Everybody told me this is due to me coughing so much and the fact that the baby's feet are right there as well.
Anyhoo, Thursday the 24th, I wasn't feeling the baby move as much as I normally do, so I went into see my midwife. She immediately hooked me up to monitors to check the baby's heartbeat and activity. During this ten minute stress test, the baby proved to be just fine. However, I coughed throughout the entire thing. This got my midwifes attention. She listened to my lungs and decided to send me to the hospital for a chest x-ray to rule out pneumonia. I did the x-ray and went home. About four hours later, she called me and let me know that I do have pneumonia and that she wanted to admit me to the hospital. Not the news you want to hear...so Winston and I packed up a bag and headed to the hospital. I was there until Sunday when they decided that I was well enough to go home and continue my meds at home. Hooray!!
Monday I was happy to be home and was watching the Academy Awards when out of the blue, my right hand went completely numb. I thought this was a bit weird and tried to move to get better circulation. At which time the numbness moved to my mouth and I was having trouble talking. I called Winston to see if it was just me. Definitely not. He hung up with me and rushed home to find me very out of it. He called the midwife who said to return to the hospital. We arrived at the ER around 4pm. Initially they let us know that they thought I had had either a slight seizure or a small stroke. However, they did a cat scan on me and found it was normal. Around 9pm they came in and let us know that it sounded like I had a small seizure given my seizure history. So, as we put on coats and were getting ready to leave, the doc came back in and asked me about my liver. Turns out my liver enzymes were elevated and this is not a good thing while pregnant...or in general! So we took our coats off and sat back down. Around 11pm an OB Doc came in and told us that I may have whats called Acute Fatty Liver of Pregnancy, which could be life threatening and that I was getting re-admitted to the hospital. Awesome. So after a few minutes of discussion, Winston went home to tend to the dogs (Bailey-who had a very in depth surgery the previous Wednesday). My mom met me at the ER around 12:30pm and stayed the night with me. The next day they ran a ton of tests, did ultrasounds on the baby as well as my gallbladder and liver. I met with a neurologist and a gastroenterologist. Throughout all of this, nobody could quite figure out what was wrong with me. They did rule out AFLP witch was great news. Tuesday night they let me leave as there was nothing more they could do.
Wednesday morning, I had a very similar experience with my hand and mouth going numb. So, we made a phone call and headed back to the hospital where they were ready for me. I was, once again, re-admitted. More blood work, an EEG, ultrasounds, NST tests for the baby, ect. Overall, the baby is doing phenomenally. He weighs approximately 6lbs 9oz and is very active!!! Because of all of these issues, they have placed me in the high risk category. So I am no longer able to have the water birth I wanted, but I am ok with this. They went back and forth with whether or not to induce me so they could treat me more aggressively. However, after speaking with another neurologist and gastro, they decided that I was not in any immediate danger. My liver is functioning wonderfully, it is just inflamed causing the enzymes to rise. So, I was able to leave the hospital last night. It was nice to be home and I am hoping it lasts!!!
My new OB doc is wonderful and is hoping to see me pregnant for another two weeks. However, I am already 3cm dilated and 75% effaced. I am also having consistent contractions-although not to intense. So, We predict a baby in the next two weeks.
:)
In other news...Bailey is recovering from his surgery wonderfully and both he and Roxy are enjoying the benefits of the soft food he is required to have for a few more days! (He also had to have 7 teeth pulled!) Winston has been an amazing caregiver to all of us this last week-shuffling between me at the hospital, Bailey and Roxy at home and somehow managed to squeeze some work in there too! He did awesome and I am very grateful for him.
I am feeling a lot better and my cough is finally beginning to subside. We are hopeful that we will have a healthy home in the next week or so!!!!!
Saturday, March 5, 2011
Crazy Week
Posted by Bruns Family at 9:14 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Yikes. I hope you get better before that baby comes. Your gonna need all your energy when he gets here. Heres to a Healthy Baby and Mom!
Oh girl, you have been through A LOT! You know I'm always thinkin' about ya!!!
Post a Comment