Well, after five days of traveling, we have made it to our apartment in Great Mills Maryland. The trip was really good and seemed more like a vacation rather than a move!
We began the journey on Sunday morning...initially we wanted to leave Austin around 6am, however, we didn't end up leaving until 9:30am due to all the CRAP we have!!! :)
We were sad to leave Austin as we have made some amazing friendships. Not to mention the fact that we were close to Winston's family and we LOVED the city!
Our first stop was in New Orleans. I was really excited to be there for two reasons...1) There is a Margaritaville there and 2) We have some amazing friends there that we met through Winston's time in the NAVY.
We pulled into New Orleans around 7pm which was about halftime of the NFC championship game, so we completely missed traffic! We stayed with our friends Ryan and Helen and their two year old son, Max. Max is one of the coolest little guys I have ever met. He is so well behaved and adorable! We had dinner there and watched with the rest of New Orleans as the Saints won the game and were headed to the Superbowl...I did not expect what happened next!!! The residents of New Orleans went crazy! OK...not really. But they did celebrate for some time with fireworks, guns and horns! (Video soon to come)
The next day we had lunch at Margaritaville and then played "Things". We left around 9am Tuesday am. It was then onto Atlanta where we would stop for the night. Along the way we went through Mississippi and Alabama. Winston and I were both surprised at how pretty the drive was through both of these states. The error we made that day was getting into Atlanta during rush hour traffic. We sat in traffic for about an hour before finding a hotel that was both cost effective ans would accept the dogs. The next morning we awoke to 26 degree temperatures and were ready for the next leg of the trip. We were both excited about this leg as we had both heard (and read) a lot about the Carolina's. We were not let down at all! It was beautiful and part of us wished we could stop there and stay!!! We ended up stopping in Henderson, NC for the night. The final leg our our journey took us through Virginia (another beautiful drive) and into Maryland by crossing over the Potomac River. This river is HUGE!!!!!! I was very impressed! We rolled into our apt complex around noon on Thursday and had our UHaul unloaded and returned by 5pm. By that time, we were exhausted! Since then, we have been busy unpacking and putting things away. Yesterday we woke to see that there was about an inch of snow on the ground and it was still snowing. By the end of the day, it had snowed so much we couldn't get our car out of the parking spot. So we dressed in our snowboarding gear and walked to a local Italian restaurant! This morning I am a bit concerned as I have to be in a town called Laurel tomorrow morning for training for my new job with Verizon Wireless. Laurel is 2 hours away, so they got me a hotel that I can check into tonight. However, the roads are so bad that I do not think I am going to make it. I called the local police department and they told me the roads are horrible and if I absolutely have to be there, to give myself plenty of time as it is going to take a while. We will see how this morning shapes up and then will make a decision...
Overall, we are quite please with Maryland and can't wait to do some exploring of our new environment!!!
I will post some photos and a video soon-I promise!!
Sunday, January 31, 2010
We made it to Maryland!
Posted by Bruns Family at 7:16 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
Can't wait to see the pics. Your trip there sounds awesome.
i am glad you guys made it over there safe. good luck with your trip to laurel, sounds like it'll take a while with all that snow. i am so jealous, i love maryland!!! enjoy your time there!
Sounds like you guys are in a good place. I am glad you had a safe trip and made it there ok. I guess this means that it will be a long while before I see you again. Sorry we didnt make it out to Teaxs while you were there. Best of luck at your new job. LOVE YOU!!!
Amy
Im glad you made it. WOW, what a trip!!! Im glad for you guys. I will call you today, I have been meaning to so I will!
Wow it is so hard to follow you guys. With all your moves and life changes. I am glad you made it safe and hope you both enjoy your new place. I am excited to see pics.
Post a Comment